SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS
This department was designed in response to a nationwide need for support in education in South Africa. ORT SA is committed to contributing, to this cause by focusing on training and support for teachers in the areas of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) and leadership of School Management Teams.
PROGRAMMES OFFERD BY STEM ACADEMY:
1.ORT MATHEMATICS, SCIENCE & ICT IN PRIMARY & HIGH SCHOOLS /TEACHERS
2.LEADERSHIP PROGRAMMES IN PRIMARY AND HIGH SCHOOLS /TEACHERS, SMTs, SGB, SRC
3.ROBOTICS & CODING EXTRA CURRICULLAR /PUPILS, TEACHERS
4.2ND CHANCE POST MATRIC IN MATH AND SCIENCE /POST MATRIC PUPILS
5.TEACHERS’ SEMINARS IN STEM EDUCATION /TEACHERS, SMT
1. ORT SA MATH,SCIENCE AND ICT IN PRIMARY & HIGH SCHOOLS/TEACHERS
Improve teaching and learning of STEM subjects
- ORT’S facilitators are highly qualified and skilled individuals
- Math / science/ technology tailor- made courses
- A year programme with each grade teacher is recommended
- Weekly/ monthly workshops
- Coaching , mentoring and classroom-based support
- Continuous assessment to tailor make the training to gaps identified
- Using best proven international approaches such as Singapore Math and Cisco
- All courses are endorsed by SACE and provide CPD Points for teachers
- One year programme per grade but short courses can be offered upon demand
2. LEADERSHIP PROGRAMMES IN PRIMARY AND HIGH SCHOOLS/ TEACHERS, SMTs, SGB, SRC
- Equip School Management Teams with skills and strategies to develop their competency and academic performance levels and improving school functionality and performance.
- ORT conducts a Needs Analysis at the school based on the Whole School Evolution 9 focus areas
- Programme is designed base on priorities set and includes: training in: School financial management , staff discipline, school leadership and governance
- Coaching and mentoring of all key stakeholders such as SMTs, SGB, SRC
- All leadership courses are endorsed by SACE
- Short courses and 1-2 years programme upon demand
3. ROBOTICS & CODING EXTRA CURRICULLAR /PUPILS, TEACHERS
Bringing robotics technology to pupils in disadvantaged communities can have a profound impact at every grade level. Robotics helps develop problem-solving skills as it fosters pupil’s’ ability to design and engineer independently. It also motivates pupils to study STEM subjects and to choose careers in Science, Engineering and Technology
- Robotics will introduce learners to knowledge, concepts, and skills that are needed for understanding the intelligent information-based technology of the future.
- The use of Technology for learning and development is done through the use of Lego We Do (6 years and up) and EV3 Robotics kits. The children use the kits to design and build robots which besides developing critical thinking, encourage fine motor skills development as well as hand eye co-ordination and auditory listening skills.
- Seminars for teachers
- Extra curricular for children on a weekly basis
4. SECOND CHANCE POST MATRIC IN MATH AND SCIENCE /POST MATRIC PUPILS
- The programme has been designed to give learners who were not able to follow careers in Mathematics, Science and Technology, due to either failing, or not achieving a Matric Exemption in these subjects, a year’s intesive coaching by expert teachers, in order to re- write the national Matric exams at year-end. The aim is to develop their Mathematical and Scientific knowledge, skills and attitudes enabling them to further their studies in STEM and Commerce related subjects, at a tertiary level.
- Providing selected learners with necessary resources such as study material, scientific calculators, etc.
- Teaching and assessing learners on a daily basis in Mathematics and Science.
- Analysis of all assessment results on regular basis.
- Providing career guidance , computer training and work readiness programmes
- One year programme
5. TEACHERS’ SEMINARS IN STEM EDUCATION /TEACHERS, SMT
To provide state of the art seminars to teachers from primary to high schools that specialises in STEM subject
- A one week seminar offers intense learning in an academic and practical manner
- Teachers can aspire to complete a series of seminars to become:
- Master ICT Coordinator
- .Master Coding Curriculum Adviser
- Master Math / Science Teacher
- Master Math specialises in Singapore Math
ORT STEM IMPACT
ANNUAL NATIONAL ASSESSMENTS (ANA)
When comparing the 2013 Ivory Park Grade 1 and 4 ANA math results(prior to the ORT SA intervention), with the 2014 results (after the ORT SA intervention), one can see a 75% increase in the maths results of some classes, and an overall increase of 42% in the schools where ORT SA facilitated.
ACCREDITED CERTIFICATE IN EDUCATION (ACE)- UNISA
- Since 2006, 152 teachers completed a qualification in ACE Math, Science or Technology.
- 91% pass rate with 86 distinctions
In 2015, thirteen students wrote a total of 35 modules among them ( 3 modules or 2 modules per person) and received 13 distinctions and a 100% pass rate
SECOND CHANCE SUCCESS
In 2015, 47 students re-wrote matric maths and science with ORT and achieved a 89% pass rate.
50% of students received a university pass
Overall results were increased by 27%